The school counseling program at Holloway Elementary supports the academic, social/emotional, and career needs of all students. This is carried out by classroom lessons, individual student planning, responsive services, and system support.
The comprehensive counseling program is directed by a School Certified Counselor that follows the guidelines set forth by the American School Counseling Association (ASCA).
Our goal is to meet the needs of all students through various services offered throughout the year. Services include classroom lessons which address broad developmental topics (self-esteem, social skills, problem-solving skills, career awareness, growth mindset, etc.) as well as individual and small group counseling for students. Specialized services are also provided to students by way of outside agencies (AltaPointe Health, Life Lines, Drug Education Council, Mobile Police Department, Mobile County Health Department, Penelope House, etc.).
When counselors are not working with students directly, they are consulting and/or collaborating with teachers, administrators, parents, and our stakeholders to provide the best possible comprehensive school counseling program. Some of the areas you may want to consult with a counselor are:
- Emotional awareness and regulation
- Academic skills
- Career preparation
- Postsecondary planning and application process
- School adjustment
- Coping skills, problem-solving, decision-making
- Organizational, study and test-taking skills
- Peer relationships and conflict resolution
- Divorce, separation and family changes
- Experiencing loss, death and grief
- Substance abuse awareness
- School-based and community resources information